The overall goals and objectives of the Committee:
- To further the United Nations’ mission of building a society for all ages;
- To raise awareness of ageing and intergenerational issues and ensure that they are adequately addressed by the UN System;
- To advocate for a new convention on the rights of older persons; and
- To influence global policy and monitor the implementation of existing commitments.
The Committee will strive to attain its objectives by:
- Strengthening relationships with NGOs and by providing a platform for strategy development;
- Bringing diverse voices from local and national levels to international platforms;
- Drawing on the experience of Committee Members to share analyses on trends, needs and good practices; and
- Maintaining regular communication with the Vienna and New York UN NGO Committees on Ageing and with the UN Open-Ended Working Group on Ageing (OEWG).
Older persons make wide-ranging contributions to economic and social development. However discrimination and social exclusion persist. We must overcome these biases in order to ensure a socially and economically active, secure and healthy ageing population.